Followers

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Grüzi everybody,

Now that I have spent a little over a week at the office (and actually done some work, actually plenty of work), I am in the position to share some initial impressions from the office and work life in general. How could I do that better than with a few pictures...

Here some pictures of the architecture and view from my workspace.









- The one on the left is taken through the glass wall in my workspace and shows the galleries and "bridges" you cross when walking from the offices or elevators on the other side of the open courtyard to my office area.

This picture on the right is taken sitting behind my desk, view across the courtyard to the kitchen (located in the glass cube).

I'll post more pictures of the architecture in the blog at some point, quite interesting.




- Here one of the coffee-machines located in every kitchen. Excellent coffee they have here, I must admit.I was just letting out a Latte Macchiato ... note the INITECH cup, I am trying to add some American culture here... So one of these days I am going to walk up to someone's desk with my cup and say with my Lumbergh voice "sooooo, what's haappening...(then take a sip from the mug) Aahh, ...now, are you going to go ahead and have those TPS reports for us this afternoon?"



Staying on the "Office Space" topic, on the left is a comparison between the ridiculous sissy toy they call a stapler here and my Red Swingline stapler I brought along - solid, heavy duty, professional grade and Made in America. They really need some decent American hardware here. Seriously, when I saw this pitiful stapler, I wasn't quite sure whether I should laugh out loud, be offended or just embarrassed to be seen with it. They might just as well have given me a pink version with laces of this ... thing.

All in all, everything at work is going well, I like the team and really enjoy the work. Oh, and have I mentioned the coffee? Great. I drink way too much of it... To compensate for the unhealthy effects of caffeine, they serve fresh fruit on every floor, every workday. I am impressed.

Enough of work life... it is weekend now, and today (Saturday), April, the kids and I explored Zurich some more, hit some of the side streets and then walked back along the "Utoquai", along the lake. We grabbed some gelato from our favorite stand at the quai on the way, which Jonas very much appreciated. Here some impressions of the Utoquai and Lake Zurich...

















 





And of Zurich downtown at the river...






















We got Jonas a new soccer ball, in the Swiss national colors of course, and he loves to play. His dribbling game is already far better than daddy's, that's for sure... so hopefully our retirement dreams come true and Jonas will become a European soccer star!





  


Tomorrow, Oma will come to visit, so more fun ahead. I think the weather should be nice again, so we may take a long boat tour on the lake... we'll have more pictures then :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! The office reminds me of the Accenture offices I visited in several European locations. I am a non-coffee drinker and I had fun with the fancy coffee machines in the European offices. Have a great day! :) -Stowe

    ReplyDelete