Followers

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A few firsts







Today was Andy's first day of work. So, it was the first day the kids and I were all by ourselves. We ventured out to two different parks and to the post office, where I even said a sentence in German :0) The weather was nice (although I absolutely should not have bothered packing any shorts for the kids). After dinner, we all went for a walk by the lake and had gelato. Does it get any better than that?

The kids are still adjusting to the time zone difference, which means we are too. Sara is cutting her first teeth, which probably isn't helping. But, we're seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

On Tuesday, Jonas said his first self-generated German sentence: "Wo ist dein Tram?? It was completely out of the blue while we were waiting for the Tram. Andy and I are so happy that he is definitely starting to pick up the language. I think the weekend visit from Oma & Opa helped.

We've been apartment hunting and have one we really like. We visit a few more on Saturday and hope to get it sorted out soon. Regardless of which place we get, we definitely plan to be in the town of Uster. Andy picked it out all by himself and I have to say he did an excellent job. It's within walking distance of a nice lake. Once around the lake is half-marathon length and they have excellent bike and walking paths. When we were there on Tuesday, we drove by a dog that looked exactly like Molly, which brought tears to my eyes. Hugs to you Molly! We miss you!

There is a Women's Activity Club in Uster that offers preschool (in English, which wasn't our first choice but options are limited - I mean, we can't afford to send him to the English/German preschool that costs $18k/year. How crazy is that!). They also have a Swiss/German playgroup, so we plan to send him to that too. The club has a library, children and adult events and really looks like it will be a place where we can connect with people. We will visit the preschool tomorrow morning. Jonas is looking forward to going to school. I think he's a little bored hanging out with me all the time.

A few more tidbits from Jonas:

1) This morning, he opened his eyes and the very 1st thing he said was: "In the Frosty the Snowman video, they sing and then they jump in a big pile of snow. I want to do that - all by myself". I think he must be dreaming about snow every night.

2) On Sunday, Andy and I were discussing what to do for lunch. Jonas comes in the kitchen:
J: Is this the day Chick-fil-A is closed?
M: Yes (followed by laughter)
J: Do they not have Chick-fil-A's here?
M: No.
J: Awww.

3) J: Mommy, I want to buy some powers so I can heal God if he gets sick.
M: You can't buy powers. God has them.
J: Well, maybe he'll share some with me?
M: Yes, maybe he will.

5 comments:

  1. oh April it looks like things are going great!! I am excited to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. How precious is your Jonas! The things little ones say make me smile sometimes.

    ~Shalonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man - I miss you guys! How's your weekend? I'm at Mom & Dad's Sunday night - Monday afternoon. We'll try to get you on skype! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to talk to you today! We love you!

    ReplyDelete